Tell me the number of times you have gone to submit a petition, apply for some government scheme and slapped yourself in the face seeing the ocean of people who are standing in the queue. In my life I have stood in quite a number of queues, quite a number of times.
It was a real waste of time and likewise, waste of precious man-hours of the umpteen number of people standing there.
Technology has influenced us in various walks of life. We have bettered our lives and technology has been a major player in that. Why not use it for e-governance and smoothen various aspects of governing?
Let me mention some key points as I look at the topic of E-governance.
1. India has a population of around 1.3 billion people. May it be for a govt job, or a small petition/ complaint the number of people turning up is in tens of thousands if not more. Making all of the government-public services digital would spare many people of a big headache.
2. Chances of corruption are very less as there is solid proof to everything.
3. Every one will eventually get to learn and acquaint themselves with technology which will help them and the country grow.
4. Much less cost of running as E-governance will be much cheaper than setting up services, as we do it now.
5. More time and labor efficient as compared to our primitive system of doing things.
6. The government can function more quickly and be transparent in the process.
Like every coin, of course this also has two sides
Anyone can hack into the system provided the security is not strong, virus attacks can tamper with the data, the people associated with these services would lose their jobs cos most of the things will be automated.
But then there is always a risk associated with everything. Proper assessments, steps to curb these risks will help successful running of E-governance.
If we were to move further or if our country were to move further in socio-economic levels, this would be one good step towards it. I think the government can keep a track and trace of the people, connect to them more efficiently and interact as well. All of this at a lower cost than the way we are doing it now.